Safe School

One Woman's Story

To:                Ontario Ministry of Health
                     Dr. Arlene King – Chief Medical Officer of Health
RE:                KRISTA VOIGT

Dear Dr. King,
I personally have a 4-year history with WiFi.
It began in June of 2006 when we moved into a new home.

I was 4 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child when we installed our first WiFi router for Internet use. The WiFi was located just above my head at a built-in desk in our kitchen.
I went to my doctor because my heart started racing, and heart-beat seemed so irregular – almost dancing. I felt seriously oxygen-deprived and there was a strange sensation in my head. I assumed the symptoms were pregnancy-related.
My symptoms gradually worsened. I became so oxygen-deprived, light-headed and dizzy, that I couldn’t walk for more than a few minutes. There was no way I could walk up a hill or around the block. It was stressful because my doctor couldn’t tell me why.
Prior to this, I didn’t have any major health problems. I was physically fit, not over-weight or obese. I am 5’3” and I weighed 124 lbs at the beginning of my pregnancy. I was not suffering from asthma, nor was I anemic. My first pregnancy had been perfect.
I went back to my doctor again and again. At one point, I was admitted to hospital and monitored for several hours. I was given a requisition for a heart-halter for Tachycardia. I kept getting this very strange feeling that I could pass out at any moment. Naturally, these symptoms were presumed to be pregnancy-related.
Seven months into my pregnancy, my husband and I decided to return to our former community, mainly because I was growing very frustrated with the health care situation. I wanted to return to my former health care providers. My husband went back to his previous job and we moved on December 29, 2006.

We no longer had a tenant and therefore didn’t need a WiFi router. The final weeks of my pregnancy were symptom-free and I was able to walk and climb stairs again. I was so relieved. I thought it was very strange that the symptoms disappeared. I never made the connection, until. . .
ALMOST THREE YEARS LATER, we moved to a new house in Collingwood, Ontario. My husband bought a brand new laptop and we again purchased a new WiFi for our home office – which is located in the den on the main floor, adjacent to our living room.
THE SYMPTOMS RETURNED WITH THE NEW WiFi! I went to my new doctor in Collingwood and a heart-halter was ordered for Tachycardia again. Finally, I looked up the symptoms online using the term “TACHYCARDIA” from one of my medical records. I read about WiFi exposure and symptoms for the very first time. 
Once again I disabled the WiFi, and the symptoms disappeared. No further tests were required.
My history - with and without the WiFi – creates a very clear answer for me. I know our WiFi impacted my personal health and well-being.
It’s so sad that I couldn’t enjoy the middle 6 months of my pregnancy because that WiFi router made me so sick and dizzy.
How sad that we had to move to learn for ourselves that WiFi was the problem. There were no warnings, and I wonder even now what impact WiFi had on my baby when I was sitting at that desk, or my 3-year-old who played near-by. Young children may not realize that what their heart or head is doing isn’t “normal”.
WiFi has no place in my home – not for me, and not for my children. This fall, we enrolled our six-year-old son in a private school. It was with amazement and total disappointment that I learned in the local paper that the Simcoe County Board of Education is proud of having WiFi in schools.
Thank you for hearing my story.
Sincerely always,
Krista Eileen Voigt, M.A.
Website Builder